The Old Colony
Hypatia, Tauron City, Minos
Minos, Olympia Hippodrome, Great Tauron Plains
Olympia Stallions, Tauron Bulls
Two thousand years ago the Twelve Tribes left Kobol after a disaster - the nature of which is now unknown. They traveled two thousand light years to the Cyrannus Star System, a system with four stars. The Taurus Tribe colonized this world. People of Tauron ancestry are often referred to as Taurons.
One of the largest and wealthiest colonies, Tauron regained its independence from Virgon and Leonis eight-hundred and fifty years ago, and fought a bloody civil war three decades ago when Ha'la'tha resistance fighters attacked the governing Heraclitus regime. Tauron's chief industries are farming and livestock, and its oldest city, Minos, was once located on a cattle trail. Tauron is also a major center of industry and technology, as well as the home of the Ha'la'tha crime syndicate (formed by former resistance fighters), which has spread throughout the colonies. (1)
The Twelve Colonies are located in the Cyrannus Star System. Tauron is in the fourth orbit around the Helios Alpha star in that system. Tauron has one satellite, Minos, which is the only ringed moon in the system. (2)
Industry and ExportsEdit
The Vergis Corporation's headquarters is located in Tauron City. Tomas Vergis is the CEO. It is a high-tech firm which recently developed the meta-cognitive processor or MCP. ("Pilot") ("Know Thy Enemy")
Tauron cigars are a valued export. ("Know Thy Enemy")
Known for its rocky, reddish soil, one of Tauron's chief industries is farming. (4) Unusual for a planet with abundant plant life, there are no flowers on Tauron. ("Pilot")
"The Tauron Globe Times" is an online news site. Amanda Graystone reads an article, "High Tech Theft Leaves Workers Slain," which covers the theft of the MCP chip from the Vergis Corporation. ("End of the Line") ("Know Thy Enemy")
Native Taurons are a proud, passionate race - a loyal and storied culture in which family ties are secondary only to personal honor. ("Dirteaters")
Its people are dedicated to family in all forms and crimes against one's family usually sparks a blood debt. These blood debts usually are settled through a discussion between the victim and the accused and are settled through tribute. 
In the case of thefts, the offending party has to make amends. ("Know Thy Enemy")
Tattooing is part of Tauron custom. A person's life story can be read from their tattoos. The Ha'la'tha crime syndicate makes extensive use of tattooing, which leads some on Caprica to associate the custom with gangsters. ("Rebirth") ("Gravedancing")
There are many reasons for getting ink including:
- Becoming a parent, acquiring a fancy pedigree, making a mistake or from a ritual. ("Gravedancing")
- From a Funeral Rite ("There is Another Sky")
- For Children or Gods-Children ("Know Thy Enemy")
- Coming of Age ("End of the Line") ("Dirteaters")
- Induction to and Promotion in the Ha'la'tha ("Dirteaters")
- Marriage and Death of Spouse (5)
Tauron Saying: "You lose something in the desert. Someone else finds it - it belongs to them. Permanent." ("There is Another Sky")
Ha'la'tha Proverb: "When the tree surrenders all its fruit, it's time to trim from the top down." ("Dirteaters")
After awarding Graystone Industries with a long-term military contract, Secretary of Defense for Caprica, Joan Leyte, says they never seriously considered the Vergis Corporation for the contract because Tomas Vergis is Tauron and deceit is in the Tauron DNA. ("Pilot")
The Ha'la'tha is a crime syndicate which originated on Tauron, then spread throughout the Twelve Colonies. Ha'la'tha is a Tauron word which means "always faithful to the soil." ("Dirteaters") ("False Labor")
Tauron Civil WarEdit
The Tauron uprising began in 12YR when poorly-armed native Rebel forces, known as the Ha'la'tha, attacked the presidential barracks, initiating a two-year Civil War. In the aftermath, the victorious Heraclides forces attempted a genocide by using murder squads, commonly referred to as Heracs. Facing extinction, the Ha'la'tha transformed to become an illegal underground organization throughout the Twelve Colonies. ("Dirteaters")
In the NewsEdit
In 42YR, CAP News reports on the recent Tauron Uprising:
Following the seizure of a massive shipment of Sagittaron arms bound for rebel forces on Tauron, Foreign Minister Kristoff used strong words today, saying that, "The successful Tauron army operation proves that we will soon be returning these insurgents to their homes."
- Joseph Adama
- Shannon Adama
- Sam Adama
- William Adama Sr.
- Isabelle Adama
- Young Joseph
- Young Sam
Behind the ScenesEdit
- According to Tom Lieber, Homeric Greek stands in for the Tauron native language. A professor from The University of British Columbia was the production team's consultant for the language. They told him what they wanted the character to say and he translated it to Homeric Greek. There is a difference between Homeric Greek and Ancient Greek. (6)
- Taurons apparently have a reputation for being criminals, similar to the manner in which Italians are stereotyped as being members of the mafia. ("Pilot") ("Gravedancing")
1. Mandel, Geoffrey. "The Twelve Colonies of Kobol" map. Technical Advisors Jane Espenson and Kevin R. Grazier, special thanks to Bob Harris, author of "Beyond Caprica: A Visitors Guide to the Twelve Colonies," Quantum Mechanix, 2010.
5. Wagner, Curt. "Exclusive: Caprica Producer Jane Espenson Explains Sam Adama's Tattoos." Show Patrol, February 2010. Retrieved via a published note on the Facebook group, Caprica, 17 February 2010. Retrieved for this Fandom Wiki on January 29, 2018.
6. "Blowback." Caprica: Season 1.5 created by Ronald D. Moore and Remi Aubuchon, podcast by Director of Development at Universal Cable Productions, Tom Lieber, and series regular Magda Apanowicz, episode 114, Syfy, 2010, disc two, 15:10-15:42.